Added on January 2, 2023
Central Florida Snake Removal
Orlando (and Central Florida in general) is home to a variety of snakes, both venomous and non-venomous. While some people may be afraid of these reptiles, it is important to remember that snakes play a valuable role in the ecosystem and should be treated with respect. If you come across a snake on your property or in your home, there are several things you can do to safely and humanely remove it.
1. Stay calm. If you encounter a snake, the most important thing is to remain calm and avoid making any sudden movements. Snakes are more likely to strike when they feel threatened, so it's important to give them space and time to retreat on their own.
2. Identify the snake. Not all snakes are dangerous, and it is important to accurately identify the species before attempting to catch it. In Florida, the six venomous snake species to watch out for are the eastern diamondback rattlesnake, the cottonmouth, the copperhead, the coral snake, the pygmy rattlesnake, and the timber rattlesnake. If you are unsure of the species, it is best to err on the side of caution and keep your distance.
3. Use the right equipment. If you need to catch a snake, it is important to use the proper tools to minimize the risk of injury to yourself and the snake. A long-handled snake hook or a pair of snake tongs can be used to safely handle the snake. Avoid using your hands or a broom to try to catch the snake, as this can be dangerous and can cause harm to the snake.
4. Relocate the snake. Once you have caught the snake, it is important to relocate it to a suitable habitat away from human areas. Do not release the snake in a location where it may come into conflict with humans again, as this can lead to more snake removal calls in the future.
5. Hire a professional. If you are uncomfortable handling snakes or are unsure of the best way to catch and relocate a snake, it is best to hire a professional wildlife removal or critter control service. These companies are trained and experienced in safely handling and removing snakes and other wildlife.
By following these tips and best practices, you can safely and humanely remove snakes from your property or home in Orlando. Remember to respect these reptiles and their role in the ecosystem, and always use caution and proper equipment when handling them.
Here at Dr. Critter, control of all wildlife conflicts is our specialty. We have the ability to not only safely remove snakes from your home, but help prevent future reoccurrences. Call us at 800-932-7287 or visit our website at drcritter.com